Cell phones have created a world where you can always contact someone when you need them. Of course, that works both ways, as anyone who has your number can contact you too. Unless you prefer to keep your phone off, then you’ve probably experienced the challenges of trying to juggle multiple phone calls.
Fortunately, call forwarding has emerged as a highly effective method for call management. This feature allows you to redirect incoming calls to a different number so that you never have to miss out on important information. Unfortunately, it’s something that not everyone understands how to use.
What Is Call Forwarding?
Call forwarding redirects calls to an alternate destination from the number that was dialed. Typically, this can be another phone line, voicemail, or a different number where you'd like your calls to be answered.
For example, if you're going on vacation and want to redirect your calls to a colleague’s office, call forwarding is the easiest way to do it. It can also be helpful if you have multiple phones or numbers and want to get all of your calls forwarded to a single device.
In the past, call forwarding required setting up complex phone settings. Now, thanks to tools like Burner, you can easily set up call forwarding without even needing your phone. This is especially handy when you're away from your phone but still need to manage your calls effectively.
There are several types of call forwarding options available, depending on your needs.
The most common ones include:
- Unconditional call forwarding: This forwards all incoming calls to another number without ringing your phone first.
- Conditional call forwarding: This type of call forwarding only redirects calls based on certain conditions, like if you're already on a call, if your phone is switched off, or if you don't pick up after a certain number of rings.
- Call forwarding on busy: This forwards calls when you're already on another call.
- Call forwarding on no answer: This forwards calls when you don't answer after a specific number of rings.
- Call forwarding on not reachable: This forwards calls when your phone is switched off or out of a coverage area.
Why Use Call Forwarding?
Call forwarding comes with tons of advantages. This advanced tool means you’ll never miss an important call, all while preserving your privacy and offering a seamless user experience.
Never Miss a Call
One of the most significant benefits of call forwarding is that it ensures you never miss an important call, no matter where you are. Whether you're in the office, at home, or on the go, you'll always be reachable if you want to be.
Call forwarding can help you maintain your privacy. When you're sharing your contact information, you might not want to give out your personal phone number. With call forwarding, you can share a designated number while keeping your personal one private.
Convenience When Changing Phone Number
If you plan to change your phone number, using call forwarding can ensure you don’t miss any important calls during the transition. By having calls from your old phone number forwarded to your new one, you can seamlessly use a new phone number without stress.
If you have a global audience, call forwarding also allows you to establish an international presence. By setting up virtual numbers in various countries, you can make it easy for international acquaintances to reach you without incurring expensive long-distance charges.
When Might You Use Call Forwarding?
While call forwarding can definitely be useful for conducting business, it can also be incredibly handy in various personal scenarios.
In case of unforeseen events like power outages or natural disasters, call forwarding can be a lifesaver. You can reroute calls to a backup location or to a friend or family member, ensuring that you remain accessible even during challenging circumstances.
Moving to a New Home
Moving is a hectic time, and you may not have time to update your contact information with everyone. Call forwarding helps bridge the gap so friends, family, and service providers can still reach you at your new place.
Emergencies and Medical Appointments
During medical appointments or emergencies, you might not be in a position to answer your phone. By forwarding calls to a trusted friend or family member, you ensure that someone can take care of important calls on your behalf.
Elderly or Disabled Family Members
If you have elderly or disabled family members who may need assistance at any time, you can forward their calls to your phone. This way, you're always within reach to provide support when needed.
Call forwarding can be a lifeline in various personal situations, offering a solution to stay connected, maintain peace of mind, and streamline communication, all while you go about your everyday life.
However, not everyone is comfortable with making their personal phone number accessible to all. In that case, there is the option of forwarding your calls without using a phone.
How To Forward Calls Without Using the Phone
Burner is a privacy-focused communications tool that provides real secondary phone numbers for calling, texting, and voicemail. One of our standout features is the ability to set up call forwarding without even needing your phone. This is a game-changer for people who need to manage their calls effectively but don't always have their phone on hand.
Once you've set up a Burner account and chosen a number, you can activate the call-forwarding feature and select the number where you want your calls forwarded. You can do this from any device with internet access, giving you the flexibility to manage your calls from anywhere, at any time.
By providing a separate number for your calls and texts, Burner also adds an extra layer of privacy to your communications.
Having another layer can be particularly useful in situations where you might not want to share your personal number, such as selling items on the internet, trying your luck with online dating, or any other times when you want to keep your personal and other communications separate.
How Can You Forward Calls With Burner?
Setting up call forwarding with Burner is a straightforward process:
- Download and install Burner: Burner is available for both Android and iOS devices and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Once the app has been downloaded, install it on your device.
- Setting up an account: After installing the app, open it and sign up for a new account. You’ll need to provide basic information, like your name and email address. A verification link will be sent to your email address. Click on this link to verify your account.
- Choosing a number: Once you have set up your account, you need to choose a number. This is the number that will be used to forward your calls. Burner offers a variety of options, including local numbers and toll-free numbers.
- Activate the call forwarding feature: After choosing a number, you’ll need to activate the call forwarding feature. This can be done by going to the settings menu in the Burner app. Look for the option that says "Call Forwarding" and enable it.
- Select the number to which calls will be forwarded: The final step is to select the number to which your calls will be forwarded. This can be any number — your office number, your home number, or even another mobile number. Enter the number in the designated field and save the changes.
Now, any calls made to your Burner number will be forwarded to the number you’ve chosen!
What Are Burner’s Call Forwarding Best Practices?
Here are some additional tips to help you make sure that your experience with Burner's call-forwarding feature is smooth and hassle-free:
- Check your Burner settings: Before you start using the call-forwarding feature, make sure to check your Burner settings so that the number you want to forward calls to is correctly entered and that the call-forwarding feature is enabled.
- Test the call forwarding feature: It's always a smart idea to test the call forwarding feature before you start using it regularly. Make a call to your Burner number from another device and see if it gets forwarded to the specified number.
- Understand the limitations: While Burner's call forwarding feature is incredibly useful, it's important to understand its limitations. For instance, the call forwarding feature might not work if the number to which you're forwarding calls is busy or not reachable.
- Use Burner's other features: In addition to call forwarding, Burner offers a range of other features that can enhance your communication experience, including tools like auto-reply messages, custom voicemail greetings, and do-not-disturb mode. You can explore all of these features to get the most out of your Burner experience.
- Keep your account active: To use the call forwarding feature, your Burner account needs to be active. Make sure to keep your account active by renewing your subscription on time.
- Ensure good internet connection: Since Burner is an internet-based app, a good internet connection is necessary for the call forwarding feature to work smoothly.
- Reach out to support: If you encounter any issues while using the call forwarding feature, don't hesitate to reach out to Burner's support team. They’re available to help with any problems or questions that you may have.
Give Call Forwarding a Try
Call forwarding is an important feature that helps us stay connected, even when we're away from our devices. Burner’s privacy-oriented approach and user-friendly interface make this convenient process even simpler for everyone so you can get back to the things that you love most.
By offering a separate number for your calls and texts, Burner ensures that your personal number's privacy is maintained. With the easy setup process and the multitude of features it offers, you can enhance your communication experience significantly.
Check out our subscription options today and take control of your communications like never before.